What are the benefits of hiring a private attorney over a public defender?
Sometimes the choice between a public defender and a private criminal defense attorney is simply a matter of how much money is in your wallet. If you have money to hire a private attorney, you won’t qualify for assistance from a public defender. If don’t have money but are considering obtaining funds from family or friends to hire a private attorney, here are few benefits to think about:
- Unlike a public defender who is often overloaded with cases, a private attorney can keep his caseload at a manageable level so that you receive the full attention that your case requires and deserves.
- If your criminal case spills over into other areas of life, such as estate planning or child custody, your private attorney may have the experience and time necessary to assist you with those additional issues.
- A private attorney will be there in the future. If you need follow up on your case – perhaps an expungement or early termination of probation – your private attorney will be able to assist you.
- A private attorney handpicks his support staff. He doesn’t work on his own but has a team to handle your case. Depending on the private attorney, this could include paralegals, interns, and other attorneys.
If you are in a position to hire a private attorney, make sure you retain an experienced San Diego criminal defense attorney. Stephen G. Cline has been practicing San Diego criminal defense for 20 years. His reputation and experience will be the key to the aggressive defense of your San Diego case. Call today at (619) 235-5638 to review your specific case!
Latest posts by Stephen G. Cline (see all)
- Pedestrian dies after being hit by vehicle in Vista - October 22, 2017
- YMCA to pay restitution, fines after 2015 chemical spill sickens children at Santee school - October 20, 2017
- Las Vegas shooting victim who lost eye has awakened from coma, taken first steps - October 16, 2017