Stephen G. Cline is a San Diego criminal defense lawyer with more than 20 years of experience defending criminal cases. He started his career as a deputy public defender before moving into private practice and opening the Law Offices of Stephen G. Cline in San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter. He handles all criminal matters in local and federal courts, from misdemeanor peftty theft to murder cases.
Mr. Cline grew up in Sacramento, California and the path that led him to his current position has been anything but normal. He was the product of a single parent home and anything but a model student as he progressed through school. Had it not been for his long and successful collegiate wrestling career, he probably would not have finished my education.
While most lawyers built a foundation for their legal careers by excelling in high school and college, he spent most of his educational years finding new and amazing ways to get into and out of serious trouble. And it was not until injuries forced him to give up his lifelong wrestling goals several years into college, that he found his stride in pursuit of a college degree.
Stephen G. Cline was was once asked why he settled into being a San Diego criminal lawyer so easily and have been able to work so successfully with the most difficult and/or serious cases. In seeking an answer, he realized that it was, in fact, the trouble and frustrations within his own history that has made it possible. Unlike most attorneys, he has personally known serious trouble. “I have seen up close and personal exactly what such trouble can do to defendants and their families. For these reasons, I can bring an unrivaled level of personal experience to the difficult task of assisting clients and their families in finding the best possible resolution to potentially catastrophic situations.”
- California State University at Sacramento with a degree in Government and Psychology
- California Western School of Law, J.D. 1993
- California Bar Exam, 1993
- San Diego County Office of the Public Defender 1993 – 2003
- First attorney in the office to turn a simple undersized lobster case into a multiple day jury trial.
- First attorney in the office to successfully challenge an improper civil injunction used to bar a homeless mentally ill man from the entire Pacific Beach area.
- First criminal defense attorney in San Diego County history to successfully remove an entire prosecutorial agency from the prosecution of a criminal case.
Awards and Recognition